The Brazilian book market is strong on translations, and only five titles among the 20 bestselling books in April were written by Brazilian authors, according to PublishNews’ bestsellers list. But when we look at the top 50 titles, 32% of them are national releases. The majority of them are by self-help and non-fiction authors.
On our fiction list, besides two classics — Sentimentos do Mundo, by poet Carlos Drummond de Andrade, and Til, by 19th century writer José de Alencar — there are only three Brazilian titles: the mega best-selleing author Paulo Coelho with O Alquimista, and Tempo de Esperas, by priest and singer Fabio de Melo.
The third Brazilian title is coincidentally also by a priest-turned-author: Marcelo Rossi. Having sold more than 7.7 million copies of his book Agape since its release in August 2010, he has been breaking sales records and maintaining top positions on the lists, with new editions of the title — children’s and illustrated — performing well.
Starting this month, PublishNews Brazil will release a monthly summary of its best-seller list, divided in three categories:
- The 20 best-selling books in Brazil by Brazilian authors.
- The 20 best-selling books in Brazil by foreign authors.
- The 10 best-selling publishers ranked according to the number of titles that made it onto PublishNews’ lists.
Our goal is to give readers a simple but broad overview of the Brazilian market and its bestselling titles and players. The original PublishNews lists (in Portuguese) also show weekly, monthly and annual rankings. You can view them here.
Bestsellers by Brazilian Authors – April 2012
- Agapinho by Padre Marcelo Rossi (Globo Livros) — Children’s
- O x da questão by Eike Batista (Primeira Pessoa) — Nonfiction
- É tudo tão simples by Danuza Leão (Agir) — Nonfiction
- O que realmente importa? by Anderson Cavalcante (Gente) — Self-help
- Ágape by Padre Marcelo Rossi (Globo Livros) — Self-help / Religion
- Mentes ansiosas by Ana Beatriz Barbosa Silva (Fontanar) — Nonfiction
- Guia politicamente incorreto da história do Brasil by Leonardo Narloch (Leya) — Brazilian History
- 1808 by Laurentino Gomes (Planeta do Brasil) — Brazilian History
- Feliz por nada by Martha Medeiros (L&PM) — Nonfiction
- A vida sabe o que faz by Zibia Gasparetto (Vida e Consciência) — Self-help
- Mulheres inteligentes relações saudáveis, by Augusto Cury (Academia de Inteligência) — Self-help
- A privataria tucana by Amaury Ribeiro Jr. (Geração Editorial) — Nonfiction
- Guia politicamente incorreto da filosofia by Luiz Felipe Ponde (LeYa) — Nonfiction
- Tempo de esperas by Fábio de Melo (Planeta do Brasil) —Fiction
- Receber com charme by Claudia Pixu and Renata Rangel (Globo Livros) — Nonfiction
- Sentimento do mundo by Carlos Drummond de Andrade (Companhia de Bolso) — Fiction
- 1822 by Laurentino Gomes (Nova Fronteira) — Brazilian History
- A fascinante construção do eu by Augusto Cury (Academia de Inteligência) — Self-help
- Casais inteligentes enriquecem juntos by Gustavo Cerbasi (Gente) — Business
- O alquimista by Paulo Coelho (Sextante) — Fiction
Bestsellers by Foreign Authors
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Rocco) — Young-adult fiction
- The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks (Arqueiro) — Fiction
- Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Rocco) — Young-adult fiction
- Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (Rocco) — Young-adult fiction
- La Parisienne by Ines de La Fressange and Sophie Gachet (Intrínseca) — Nonfiction
- Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood by Oliver Bowden (Galera Record) — Fiction
- Something Blue by Emily Giffin (Novo Conceito) — Fiction
- Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (LeYa) — Fiction
- One Day by David Nicholls (Intrínseca) — Fiction
- Nietzsche, antistress en 99 pilules philosophiques by Allan Percy (Sextante) — Self-help
- The Vow by Kim Carpenter and Krickitt Carpenter (Novo Conceito) — Fiction
- Assassin’s Creed: Renaissance by Oliver Bowden (Galera Record) — Fiction
- Il Cimitero di Praga by Umberto Eco (Record) — Fiction
- Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson (Companhia das Letras) — Biography
- A Song of Ice and Fire: A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (LeYa) — Fiction
- Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Agir) — Children’s
- The Servant by James Hunter (Sextante) — Business
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: A Novel in Cartoons by Jeff Kinney (V&R) — Fiction
- Heart Of the Matter by Emilly Giffin (Novo Conceito) — Fiction
- Je Ne Sais Pas Maigrir by Pierre Dukan (Ediouro) — Self-help
Bestselling Brazilian Publishers
- Companhia das Letras